The school building itself was built in 1914.
During the First World War it served as a military hospital, and from 1921 it was also used by the
Medical institute of the University of Szeged.
Between 1930 and 1935 Albert Szent-Györgyi lived and worked in this building.
In the autumn of 1932, the scientist could extract vitamin C from paprika, and here was the first place in the world to produce large amounts of vitamin C. Thus, the building of the Déri school can be rightly called the birthplace of vitamin C. The only place in the country where an invention receiving Nobel Prize was born.
The commemorative room is furnished with period furniture, laboratory equipment and relics and was built in the wing where Albert Szent-Györgyi actually lived.
The living spaces, laboratories, and the stairs leading to them can be identified. It can be
compared to contemporary recordings.
The corridor leading to the cultic place is decorated with portraits of Nobel Prize winners of
Hungarian descent and Szent-Györgyi-related photos of Szeged.
Albert Szent-Györgyi Memorial Room can be visited in our school